Friday, May 9, 2008

The World According to Boys

I'm eavesdropping on my sons' conversation. They have a friend over to spend the nite. Basically, what I am listening to is "The World According to 6 & 7 Year Old Boys". Who knew that these boys had expertise in such broad and varied subjects? Before I sent them to bed (that was an hour ago), they asked me for an alarm clock so they could set if for 1 am. As if I would do this? I already know they are going to be up at the crack of dawn, so I don't need them in there fooling around any earlier with an alarm clock's assistance.

Summers are supposed to be about times like this. Having friends over and staying up way too late and doing absolutely nothing the next morning. It's not quite summer, but everyone is ready for it. I think we are all in summer mode already. I don't think my husband has the same philosophy that I do. He seemed fairly disgruntled that the boys were not going to be in bed by 8 pm. Spoil sport! These are the times that your kids remember that their mom was cool. As Brigadere General around here, I've got to play my cards right and let them get away with things sometimes.

They keep sneaking out here to see if I am awake. If there is one thing I know, it's boys. Their friend just walked back into the room and boy-whispered, "She's still awake!" I know that there is some kind of mischief underfoot and what they don't realize is that I am smarter than they are. So, if I don't outlast them (which is unlikely), I'll be shutting the whole operation down and telling them they have to go to sleep. Right now they are having a discussion about whales, dolphins and orcas and their commonalities and differences. Apparently, according to their friend, dolphin is pretty easy to speak.

I think this is why Jesus said "let the little children come to me." They are so damn cute and so real.

No comments: