Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Fish Lives

I'm taking a break from my household responsibilities. That's kind of funny, because most of my existance has been based on the principle of avoiding manual labor, which for me, includes house work. I told Lee that I think I'm going to have to go back to work eventually because I'm a terrible housewife and I spend all of my time doing ridiculous things like shelving books at my kids' school or making photo books for their teacher appreciation gifts, so I might as well get paid to do something so we can pay someone to clean our house on a regular basis (woefully, our housekeeper/nanny only comes 3 days a week now).

Tonite Lee and I are going to graduation for Baylor College of Medicine. One of our friends is graduating (go Tamela!), which is my excuse. He actually likes to go every year and get in the whole graduation regalia. The cap and gown thing lost its excitement a while back for me. I guess when you are in academia this is the time of the year to exercise your ego. Since we are not high on the food chain at Baylor we don't get to sit on stage. The president of the school and various deans sit up on the stage and say all sorts of nice things about the graduates before they sneak out back well before the ceremony ends. I guess you get your photo op with the president as you walk across the stage to get your diploma. When I graduated, Dr Michael DeBakey handed us our diplomas, which I guess now is kind of cool considering he is almost 100 years old and his name is probably going to be synonymous with Osler (in the medicine world) if it's not already.

We only have 2 goldfish now and I thought we were just about down to one. The one that was replaced a million times has been looking a little agonal. For the past day or two he would only swim if you tapped on the glass. Mostly he just floated there. I considered using him as fertilizer, but thought I'd wait till he was actually dead before I poured him into the flower bed. I asked my husband if I thought we should try to revive him by changing his water. "F_ck him!" was his response. "That's what I was thinking too," I replied. I shook a few flakes into his bowl and figured that I'd be able to recycle him this morning. Mr. Fish has come back to life. The little f_cker was swimming around his bowl like a champ this afternoon. I told Lee and he said, disappointedly, "Yeah, I know. I saw him this morning." If they can survive in our garage in the summer heat then I suppose they deserve to live. Can fish haunt you?

Philippians 4:4-8

"4 Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice! 5 Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon.

6 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

8 And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. 9 Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you."

No comments: