Monday, March 3, 2008

Happy Anniversary

Today, my middle kid told me that he hated me. This leads me to believe that I am doing my job correctly. After the initial sting, I took it as a compliment. He has an aversion to school and wasn't on board with my 'tough love' approach when I told him that he would have to go to school today (even if it meant going in his underwear) despite the chronic headache and belly ache that he seems to develop every morning (or prior to other events or circumstances he finds undesirable). Being a parent is a thankless job (as my mother would remind me when I was growing up and now I see what she means). The part of their brain that takes in pleasure (like when the get what they want. Frequently) and the part of their brain that senses injustice at the hands of their parents don't connect. I think the synapses don't form till much later. Hopefully I'll be alive and lucid when that physiogical event occurs.

My mother, who forgets how mean she was when my brother and I were growing up, bought my children goldfish (she forgets about the mice that we had and mine and my brother's lack of parental duty which led to the mother mouse eating her young. Finally she made us let them go in the back yard figuring they had a better chance fending for themselves in the wild than they did surviving in our care). She did this without parental consent. She thought it was cute and that it would teach my children responsibility. My husband was seething last nite when my 7 year old was bawling after 'Money' moved on to the afterlife. Money went to 'swim with the fishes' down the toilet bowl and into the sewer system. We had a true Bill Cosby ceremony and my son said some kind words about the fish (which he had had for about 3 hours). "He was a nice fish. He was a good fish. I loved him." After Lee said a prayer, my son pulled the handle and Money went to meet his fishy maker in the sky. Needless to say, she was the one that was taking him to 2 different stores to pick out a new fish at 8 pm last nite. Let's hope that 'Colorful' has better luck than his predecessor.

We, along with my brother's family, went camping this weekend for my one year anniversary (my mom came out for the day). It was the perfect way to mark one year since my diagnosis. Lee pointed out that when I received my diagnosis, I was walking along the bayou, a man-made structure, and mostly trusting in my own self and my own abilities. This year, when the clock struck 1 pm (the time I received the phone call from the doctor with the pathology results), I was sitting on the banks of the Brazos River, a creation of God's and now all of my trust is in Him. As my friend Jennifer told me the day before, "What a difference a year makes." It was exactly what my family needed and what I needed. A weekend away to appreciate God's goodness.

I am lifting a lot from Oswald Chambers these days, but I guess that is why My Utmost For His Highest is as popular as it is.

"Don't just testify about how much you love Me and don't talk about the wonderful revelation you have had, just "Feed my sheep". Jesus has soem extraordinarily peculiar sheep: some that are unkempt and dirty, some that are awkward or pushy, and some that have gone astray!...The love of God pays no attention to my prejudices caused by my natural individuality. If I love my Lord, I have no business being guided by natural emotions-I have to feed his sheep."

2 comments:

mom said...

OK I was mean if you count that You wanted a cat I don't like them and who got not one cat but several you wanted a dog Faith and who got one Bill wanted a cat and who got one he wanted mice and he got some how was I suppose to know the reproduced every 30 days although I must say thinking back having them turned loose in the back yard was not smart. Just know I love you and Lee. Lots love M

Jewels & Keri said...

I was just thinking yesterday that your one year anniversary. God bless you and your journey and thank you for letting your friends travel it with you.

And, I can't get the image of your family praying around a toilet out of my head!

Keri